Date:      Sun, 26 Nov 2000 06:52:49 -0500
From:      Andrew J Caines <A.J.Caines@altavista.net>
To:        FreeBSD Stable <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   /kernel: sigreturn: eflags = 0x13286

Folks,

I was running my usual ninety-nine X clients on my 4.1.1-STABLE (Thu Oct
19 11:42:08 EDT 2000) box with XFree86, version 3.3.5 I think, from the
4.1 CD.

One of the clients, galeon (built from ports), was taking too long to
respond and having stolen my pointer focus, I switched to a virtual
terminal and took a look at my processes with top with the intent of
killing it.

The X server (XF86_SVGA) was at about 70% CPU by that time and rising. I
killed galeon and a few other X clients, but the X server carried on
climbing. After ignoring signals 15, 1 and 2, the X server gave up with a 3
at about 98%.

During this time, I tried several times to switch back to my X session
with ctrl-alt-F9, but got nothing more than a beep.

When the X server died, I got the following from syslog:

Nov 26 06:09:17 <kern.crit> hal9000 /kernel: sigreturn: eflags = 0x13286

Naturally, I recognise that the error may well originate with Xfree86
and/or the apps, but I am interested in the cause and its affect on the
system. I'll grudgingly accept buggy X clients and even the occasional X
server crash, I wouldn't normally expect a kernel message like that.

I've searched the list archives and haven't found anything similar to
this. I've never seen this error before and hope never to see it again.

-Andrew-