Date:      Sat, 19 Apr 1997 15:28:10 -0300 (ADT)
From:      The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        mike allison <mallison@konnections.com>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, chat@freebsd.org, Joel Ray Holveck <joelh@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
Subject:   Re: Commercial, Non-Hacker CD Distribution - A thought

On Sun, 20 Apr 1997, mike allison wrote:

> Well,
>
> I did.  I thought I understood their Linux policy as Beta versions for
> non-commercial use were free.  Without documentation and downloadable.
> (maybe this was just English docs due to translation problems).
>
> I don't think this was the point originally.  I thought Marc wanted a
> BSD clean port releasable on a distribution.  I didn't see any
> restrictions from re-Sales or re-Release by private parties.
>
> I'm unaware how far Linux ELF apps are from BSD compliant.  I don't know
> that Star Office is ELF....
>
> I guess my question is, are we asking for something that already exists
> fpor BSD on some level?

	First, from what I read, the StarOffice distribution is free for
non-commercial use, Beta and when Release comes out...

	Second, as Jordan had pointed out at one point, the Linux port is
runnable under FreeBSD emulation right now, which is a good start.  IMHO,
if we could somehow show StarDivision (and, subsequently, other commercial
developers) the value of a FreeBSD port through increased usage *under*
FreeBSD, then we'd start to see as many commercial ports for FreeBSD as
there are for, let's say...Linux?  Linux has a reasonably known track
record...we don't have much of one, at least as far as commercial products
are concerned...

	...I *believe*, from what I've been reading in the lists, that
Jordan et al are currently working on various things to change that, but
that is my personal interpretation on what I've read, so this could be
incorrect...

> -Mike
>
> Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> >
> > > Has anyone ever approached Star about a free license to put in the
> > > distros? or a hard port to *BSD on Intel platforms.  At least that you
> > > know???
> >
> > What do you mean, exactly?  How would this be different than their
> > current terms?  Maybe you should go read the StarOffice release notes
> > and then come back. :-)
> >
> >                                         Jordan

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org