Date:      Fri, 25 Jul 1997 11:17:39 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ulf Zimmermann <ulf@Alameda.net>
To:        fyeung@fyeung8.netific.com (Francis Yeung)
Cc:        steve@visint.co.uk, rls@mail.id.net, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Router

> Greetings,
> >
> > My guess is that 32MB is not enough to hold a full routing table, or maybe
> > if I was running NOTHING else...  From my calculations, 48MB would probably
> > be okay, but memory is cheap as dirt right now, so...
> >

> 	If 32MB is not enough to hold a full routing table, I wonder -
> how much memory do most routers e.g. cisco 2501, cisco 7500, Ascend pipeline
> etc have ? Are those routes ever aged ?
>

> 	Best regards.
>
> 	Francis

A 2501 doesn't hold a full routing table, the maximum memory is 16MB,
of which 2MB are used for shared buffers. A Cisco 7500 with RSP2 can have
up to 128MB memory, with RSP4 it can have 256MB.

--
Ulf.

Ulf Zimmermann, 1525 Pacific Ave., Alameda, CA-94501, #: 510-769-2936
Alameda Networks, Inc. | http://www.Alameda.net  | Fax#: 510-521-5073