Date:      Mon, 24 Jan 2000 13:55:16 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Please help spread the CVSup mirror load more evenly

On Mon, 24 Jan 2000, Warner Losh wrote:

> Agreed.  The making lots of connections was a bad idea.  However, I've
> rarely seen low latency and low bandwidth go together.  I've also
> problems connecting accross high loss links more often.  Sure, it is a
> statistical argument.
>
> I still think that the n connections wouldn't be that expensive.  The
> cost, iirc, of a connection that drops is very low.  I can certainly
> see enough problems with it to encourage jdp to not implement it,
> despite being the person that proposed it...

That's the precise reason I suggested a system that used no probing, had
feedback, and forced shared load in spite of user misconfiguration.  Got
shouted down.

Chuck Robey            | Interests include C & Java programming, FreeBSD,
chuckr@picnic.mat.net  | electronics, communications, and signal processing.

New Year's Resolution:  I will not sphroxify gullible people into looking up
fictitious words in the dictionary.