Date:      Tue, 25 Mar 1997 21:38:55 -0800
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Mark E Larson <markl@agis.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: intel 100b warning message

>Ok, I have FreeBSD 2.2.1 running with 2 Intel 100B cards.  They seem to be
>running good.

   Hmmm...didn't you just say that two cards didn't work? Or are you saying
that it works in the newer version of FreeBSD?

>  However I get a warning message on boot up for both cards.
>
>/kernel: fxp0: warning: unsupported PHY, type=1, addr=1
>
>and of course the same message for fxp1
>
>Just need to know what this is, and if it will hose me down when in
>production.

   It's a new message I added to tell me when people had unusual cards where
the PHY (The PHYsical layer chip) is not a National DP83840. In this case,
the card should still work, but it might not work in full duplex mode and you
won't be able to force 10/100 or half/full (which requires PHY diddling).
"type=1" above tells me that the PHY is an 82553 (made by Intel). I didn't
know that Intel made any Pro/100B's with that (all of the ones I have here
have National DP83840's). Can you tell me about how old the card is?

-DG

David Greenman