Date:      Fri, 09 Jul 1999 16:56:38 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Gustavo V G C Rios <kernel@tdnet.com.br>
Cc:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>, security@FreeBSD.ORG, bos-owner-br@sekure.org
Subject:   Re: suid/guid

In message <3786681C.3882C645@tdnet.com.br> Gustavo V G C Rios writes:
: A good approach would be to design software in which no special
: privilegies should be required for common users use it.

Generally that is the approach that has been taken.  However, before
the big push for these things, programs had been written with the
group operator fuynctionality in mind...  Hmmm, maybe that is a good
way to partion things in /etc/make.conf...

: In 5 words: DENY every thing by default.

All things not explicitly allowed are forbidden. :-)
I believe that in 1984 by George Orwell it was stated as "All things
not compusory are forbidden" but I no longer have quick access to that
book to check on the accuracy of the quote.

We certainly don't wan to get into the Animal Farm (also by George
Orwell) situation where all animals are created equal, its just that
some animals are more equal than others...

Warner