Date:      Thu, 08 Jul 2010 17:09:59 -0500
From:      Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn@freebsd.org>
To:        Gary <gdriggs@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 8.1rc2 and ZFS

On Thu, 8 Jul 2010 14:28:26 -0700
Gary <gdriggs@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a PCI-X model of the PowerMac7,3 (dual 2.0 GHz procs) and am
> able to boot the CD for RC2 but it does not detect my drives. I'm
> trying again with 8.0 but I know the drives work because I'm replacing
> a working Linux install.

Can you try doing a verbose boot (boot -v from the loader)? Also,
entering the fixit shell from sysinstall and running 'gpart show' would
be interesting.

> Also, off the top of their head does anyone know if the ZFS port is
> current as the latest release now supports PPC architecture.

The ZFS port may work, but with suboptimal performance due to the lack
of 64-bit atomics on 32-bit PowerPC. I do not know if it has been
tested, however. It will work fully with a 64-bit kernel (64-bit
support is not in the 8 release series, however).
-Nathan