Date:      Mon, 21 Feb 2000 00:34:55 +0100
From:      Olaf Hoyer <ohoyer@fbwi.fh-wilhelmshaven.de>
To:        Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: separate udma66 controller possible, when only having udma33 bios

>> But to run UDMA/66, you also need the special 80-wire cabling,
>
>Well, then I'll have to buy an 80-wire cable tomorrow as well.

Hi!

Well, only needed when using a separate controller like the Promise.
If you decide to take the on-board controller than you could use every "el
cheapo" 40-pin cable...

>> but unless you are not having some more of that beasts in your
>> machine, there will be no big difference to UDMA/33.
>
>The Maxtor 54098U8 will be the only EIDE device in the machine.
>So would it be satisfactory, to run it with the on board EIDE
>controller ???  But you also told me, that the CPU utilization
>is less with UDMA/66. So ... if I want to save some CPU cycles,
>should I nevertheless use UDMA/66 ?!

Well, if you use it as single drive, even the difference in CPU cycles
won't probably make up significantly in user-visible manner. Yes, for
benchmarks, it would show a slightly faster operation, but in real life,
there should be no real improvement.

Regards
Olaf Hoyer
--------
Olaf Hoyer	 www.nightfire.de                mailto:Olaf.Hoyer@nightfire.de
FreeBSD- Turning PC's into workstations   ICQ:22838075

Liebe und Hass sind nicht blind, aber geblendet vom Feuer,
dass sie selber mit sich tragen. (Nietzsche)