Date:      Sun, 27 Aug 1995 09:07:22 -0400
From:      smartin@usit.net (Steve Martin)
To:        bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   FreeBSD 2.0 install problem

I'm not really sure this qualifies as a "bug" per se, but I figure that
(assuming it's not something I did wrong) this will take some piddling at
the source code level to fix, so it would fall in the programmers' domain.

I have a 486DX2/80 system, 16M RAM, VLB, with a Promise EIDE controller
driving two WD drives, 800M (first drive) and 400M. I have MS-DOS on the
800M drive, and wish to put FreeBSD on the second drive.

I followed the instructions in the install screens, and also the caveat in
the TROUBLESHOOTING file about rebooting. I installed the boot manager on
the MBR of the first drive, partitioned/labelled/whatever the second drive
as 374M root, 32M swap (drive is actually 406M), made it bootable, and
proceeded to the next screen, where several things were written to the drive
(/kernel and the rest). When the system rebooted, and I was presented with
the "boot:" prompt, I entered

     hd(1,a)/kernel

as instructed in the TROUBLESHOOTING file. The system proceeded to boot from
the hard drive, went through device probing, then said

     panic: unable to mount root

and rebooted.

What have I done wrong that it can't find root on the disk?

Again, if I have directed this to the wrong party, please forgive.