Date:      Fri, 06 Aug 1999 21:51:31 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        brian@pobox.com
Cc:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Marketing FreeBSD / FreeBSD as a pr

> If the advocacy team wants to work on turning the FreeBSD
> 4.0-RELEASE release into a major event, I'll contribute articles
> on how it's helped me develop for the Nintendo 64, foot the bill
> to enlist a couple artists' help in producing a nice cover and
> help strategize a nice PR maneuver to coincide with release. I
> *strongly* believe in FreeBSD, and I'll do what I can to help it
> along.

That's a fine idea, though there's nothing to stop you from
contributing articles now of course - don't wait for 4.0 to start
being an advocate.

I've also said many times that anyone with better artwork to suggest
need only step forward with said artwork and I'd be more than happy to
consider it - where do you think the original "daemon walking out of a
CD" artwork came from?  I've also since spent around $1500
commissioning various bits of artwork which nobody seems to like, so
if people really have a jones to see new artwork they're going to have
to start drawing it and sending it in because I'm tired of throwing
money away.

> But first TPTB need to accept that marketing and presentation
> are every bit as important as anything else in realizing broad
> distribution. Even breaking in media takes something that looks

Of course we realize that, we're not idiots.  However, I fail to see
how your original comments attacking the daemon constitute a "positive
contribution" to changing this.

> I can't be helpful if someone as visible as Jordan is going to
> call this a proxy issue or accuse me of selecting this because
> it's a fluff task. I'm not going out of my way to move my

Compared to all the more urgent tasks we have sitting on our plates,
it *is* a proxy issue and I can't help it if you're resistant to
having the realities of the situation pointed out to you.  I also
clearly have to restate my position here since it seems to have become
lost in the shuffle: I don't object to new concepts in packaging or
artwork, what I object to are suggestions that the daemon mascot
suddenly needs to go without any better ideas for his replacement
being advanced at the same time, or even ideas (and the artwork) for
better presentation of the daemon in general.

It seems that about once a year, somebody suggests that the little guy
isn't serious enough, or that using him condones devil-worship, or any
number of other comments of a singularly useless nature.  Is it any
wonder that I see this discussion as something of a waste of time?

- Jordan