Date:      Sun, 16 May 2010 20:17:34 +0000 (UTC)
From:      "Bjoern A. Zeeb" <bzeeb-lists@lists.zabbadoz.net>
To:        Jeff <dejamuse@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Net problem with server running in jail

--0-1790818726-1274041054=:23815

On Sun, 16 May 2010, Jeff wrote:

> I have been running PCBSD 8 (FreeBSD 8.0) with no problems until recently=
=2E

> I have an Apache server running in a jail (created by The Warden PBI) wit=
h PHP, MySQL, and Drupal.=A0 I also run Firefox on the same machine to acce=
ss the internet and the local server for development.=A0 I've never had a p=
roblem accessing the server until recently when I moved to a new location a=
nd tried to set up the new network on a new router and internet connection.=
=A0 I switched the NIC card to a static IP from DHCP and then access to the=
 server got really slow, like 15 seconds delay from 2 seconds before.=A0 Al=
so, Drupal can no longer access the net to check for module updates and suc=
h.

> I asked for advice at PCBSD and reconfigured some things that fixed the p=
roblem for a while, but now nothing works, so they advised me to ask here.=
=A0 I don't know what precipitated this problem or exactly what's wrong.

> Originally, both the NIC and the jail IPs were assigned to the lagg0 devi=
ce.=A0 I have another machine with the same setup that has none of these pr=
oblems, but it's using PCBSD=A0 7.1.1. which has no lagg interface, just th=
e NIC itself.

> If I manually assign the static IP (192.168.1.10) to the NIC, re0, and le=
ave the jail (192.168.1.12) assigned to lagg0, the latency problems disappe=
ar but Drupal still cannot talk to the outside world.=A0 I shut down the fi=
rewall but it had no effect.

> I assigned both the jail and the NIC to re0, and disabled lagg0 but that =
didn't work.

> The router gateway is 192.168.1.2
>
> Here is the current state:
=2E..
> What could cause the server latency to be so high, and why can't Drupal a=
ccess the internet?=A0 I have had this problem on and off for years, going =
back to FBSD 6, but have never figured out the problem or how I got out of =
it.=A0 This time nothing is working.

it's a bit hard to say and I admit I haven't read all the output I am
not quoting.

I'd suggest you'd check your resolv.conf inside the jail as DHCP
wouldn't update that one and as you moved, things might have changed?

/bz

--=20
Bjoern A. Zeeb                                     (from 21) Micky Rosa:
    But as we've all said, this game is about the past and the future,
    and tonight we forget about the past. We just focus on the future.
--0-1790818726-1274041054=:23815--