Date:      Sat, 21 Oct 2023 05:21:17 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        William Dudley <wfdudley@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: how to tell what options sendmail pkg was built with?

On Fri, 20 Oct 2023 20:42:58 -0400, William Dudley wrote:
> I'm in sendmail hell again.  Trying to fix broken sendmail because
> libssl.so.11 disappeared, so my sendmail from ports died.

So there are more problems than just sendmail... Try to
reinstall OpenSSL (system version).

> I originally built it from ports to try to shut up this error from stock
> sendmail:
>
> Warning: Option: AuthMechanisms requires SASL support (-DSASL)
> Warning: Option: AuthOptions requires SASL support (-DSASL)
>
> It would be nice if one didn't have to go through the ports pageant
> just to get a working sendmail.

Oh - it seems you want SASL. You want SASL? It's complicated,
but possible with system sendmail.

1. Install cyrus-sasl and cyrus-sasl-saslauthd (version 2) from
   ports or pkg. Default configuration is okay.

2. Add to /etc/make.conf:

	SENDMAIL_CFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include -DSASL=2
	SENDMAIL_LDADD=/usr/local/lib/libsasl2.so

   Note that the Handbook at 30.9 # 4 is _wrong_; this works.
   https://docs.freebsd.org/en/books/handbook/mail/#SMTP-Aut

3. Recompile system sendmail:

	# cd /usr/src/lib/libsm
	# make
	# cd /usr/src/lib/libsmutil
	# make
	# cd /usr/src/usr.sbin/sendmail
	# make
	# make install

4. Check: Now you have SASL2 support

	# sendmail -d0.1 -bt < /dev/null

   Now SASLv2 will be listed.

If you actually need SASL to authenticate, start and configure
the service accordingly.

> There's a sendmail pkg.  How does one determine what options that
> was built with, short of installing it and trying it?  Is that documented
> anywhere?  The pkg command doesn't seem to have a way to query
> for that information.

I'd say you find them in the program's Makefile.

> Lots of googling has failed to turn up an answer.

Yes, that is a trend now...

Good luck!

Oh, one further thing to check: Your sendmail configuration.
If your control file has

	define(`confAUTH_MECHANISMS', `EXTERNAL GSSAPI DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5 LOGIN
 PLAIN')dnl

then maybe just remove the one that requires SASL, if you
do not need it.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany