Date:      Wed, 20 Jun 2001 10:59:28 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jamie Bowden <ragnar@sysabend.org>
To:        "Pedro F. Giffuni" <pfg1+@pitt.edu>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Anyone see todays Wall Street Journal article: Microsoft UsingFree Software (or something to that effect)

On Wed, 20 Jun 2001, Pedro F. Giffuni wrote:

:Heh,
:
:For me the final release in the windows 9x line is Windows 98 Second
:Edition. MS made some obscure agreement with Intel or whomever so that
:Windows ME won't install on computers with less than 150 MHz.

It's a silly, but not unreasonable, requirement.  The market they're
aiming for tends to have new or recent hardware.  There's no technical
reason I can think of for it, other than raw performance.  Win2k does the
same thing, although it's minimum requirement is a Ppro 180 (maybe a 166,
I'd have to check) and 64MB RAM.

:Which is better Windows 98SE or Windows NT 4.0?? I got them for free
:due to that agreement between the University and Microsoft. They also
:give away Windows 2000; ugh...so many software that does the same
:thing.

If the university is giving away Win2k, it's the best of Win98's hardware
support with NTs improved (relative to 9x) security and stability.  It
runs all my Direct3D games with no problems, which NT 4.0 wouldn't do.

:ps. is it normal that my FreeBSD 4.3 CDs still haven't arrived?

Haven't a clue, I'm just an end user.  I burned my own though.  That
Jordan makes the disc 1 ISOs available is really cool.

Jamie Bowden

--
"It was half way to Rivendell when the drugs began to take hold"
Hunter S Tolkien "Fear and Loathing in Barad Dur"