Date:      Mon, 13 Jan 2003 15:49:05 +0100
From:      marius@alchemy.franken.de
To:        Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
Cc:        Soeren Schmidt <sos@spider.deepcore.dk>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ATA seems to lock up the system at boot (KT133A)

On Mon, Jan 13, 2003 at 11:47:14AM +0100, Alexander Leidinger wrote:

> > > Usually I don't have a zip disk in the drive at boot time... I give it a
> > > try (tomorrow).
> >
> > I've tried both here, works just fine on a newly compiled current....

I have a LS120 atapi-drive here that doesn't work under FreeBSD if it's
the master on it's channel but works fine if it's a slave to a <= UDMA33
hd (the fact that it doesn't work when being slave to > UDMA33 may also
mean that that it doesn't work on 80-pin cables). Depending on the FreeBSD-
version it goes awry when getting probed or probes but doesn't work
afterwards. I noticed it first on 4-stable after a larger ata-code merge
(it worked happily before) a half year ago or so, I dropped Soeren a note
but no reaction. The difference between the configurations you and Soeren
posted is also that you are running the atapi ZIP-drive as master and
Soeren as slave, so maybe this could be a hint that something goes wrong
with initialisation when atapi floppy-drives are attached as masters.