Date:      Mon, 8 Feb 1999 14:10:42 -0500
From:      Lee Cremeans <lee@st-lcremean.tidalwave.net>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Licia <licia@o-o.org>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GPL *again* (was: New CODA release)

On Mon, Feb 08, 1999 at 11:37:01AM -0700, Brett Glass wrote:
> At 09:37 AM 2/8/99 -0800, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
>
> I see your point about the language. Still I strongly believe that,
> if we do not place a "poison pill" against the GPL in our licenses,
> we will see the GPL subsume all else. If you were to add something
> that would prevent open source code from being relicensed under
> the GPL, how would you phrase it?

Brett, you're missing the point yet again. The BSD license as we see it is
free to _all_ comers, no matter what bent they may be -- GPL, proprietary,
even (*shudder*) Microsoft. Putting a "poison pill" in the license would
make it just as distasteful to the champions of free software as the GPL is
to corporations. Like Jordan said, this is one of the great things about the
license we have now; it doesn't assume that one group of users is inherently
"evil".

That said, if you're so concerned about it, you could always write your own
license, as has been suggested many times already. Mark our words, though --
_any_ license that prohibits changing its terms is bad news in the long run.