Date:      Thu, 20 Apr 2000 19:09:39 +0200
From:      Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
To:        David Scheidt <dscheidt@enteract.com>
Cc:        Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>, Alexander Langer <alex@big.endian.de>, Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ViM vs. Emacs

On Thu 2000-04-20 (11:26), David Scheidt wrote:
> Then you use nvi's multiple undo feature, of course.  u, followed by however
> many '.'s as you'd like.  How do you undo an undo in vim?

The Vim help claims: Nvi uses the "." command instead of CTRL-R.
Unfortunately, this is not Vi compatible.  For example "dwdwu." in Vi
deletes two words, in Nvi it does nothing.

Anyone want to test that on a 'real vi'?

> I reached the conclusion that vim is not a vi clone. It's a modal editor
> that happens to work something something like vi.  Lots of the defaults are
> wrong, it's big, and it's slow.  vi is neither big nor slow.

Try: alias vi vim -C

The reason Vim is bigger, and possibly slower, is because it has nice
stuff like syntax highlighting, proper indenting, a help system,
windowing, beter regex, scripting, and so forth.  All that stuff makes
editing easier and more efficient.  Isn't that why one uses vi?

It's not like vim is massive.  It's only 250k more than nvi, with
insanely more useful features.  Of course, when I say 'vim', I mean
'vim-lite'.

Neil
--
Neil Blakey-Milner
Hacker In Chief, Sunesi Clinical Systems