Date:      Tue, 3 Dec 1996 10:17:20 -0800 (PST)
From:      Neill Thornton <neillt@realgoods.com>
To:        Lee Crites <adonai@jump.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ups recommendations...

On Mon, 2 Dec 1996, Lee Crites wrote:

> I have some questions concerning power problems, and how y'all (the Texas
> non-gender specific pronoun) might be handling them.  I'm open to any level
> of assistance you can provide on any/all questions (flames happily ignored).
>
> So here goes...
>
> 3)  I have an gas-powered electric generator.  It has a slot for a starter
> (it's the manual pull chord right now).  Anyone set up a generator on their
> system?  What kind of starter interface works?  I called some of the local
> briggs&straton dealers and they acted like I was speaking some ancient
> swahili dialect.

We have a large inverter system that we custom installed for our location,
and we have a Honda generator that auto starts from a little box that
monitors the incoming grid power.  When the power goes out, the box flips
the incoming power feed from the grid to the generator, and the generator
is auto started.  The inverter system only supports the system for about 3
minutes, the time the generator starts.   Just for redundacy's sake, we
also have some Smart-UPSes that backup our core machines (an IBM RS/6000,
FreeBSD, some Novell systems) and when/if the main power system fails, the
Smart-UPSes signal everything to shut down.  It is a very clean install
that we are happy with.

<plug>
Not to advertise or anything, but the company I work for, Real Goods,
specializes in alternative energy products and power solutions.  Call our
technical sales department at 1-800-919-2400 for some free help designing
power-interruption resilient systems. (They designed our system, in fact)
The techs are very knowledgeable, and can usually answer any questions you
might have about backup (or full-time) power solutions.
</plug>

Neill

--
Neill Thornton						Powered by FreeBSD
Systems Administrator, Real Goods Trading Corp.