Date:      Sun, 05 Nov 1995 03:01:14 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        rkw@dataplex.net (Richard Wackerbarth)
Cc:        hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 2.1.0-951104-SNAP is now available.

> We need to make a decision about support for this Release. In particular, I
> would like
> to suggest that an appropriate means of supporting patches would be CTM.
>
> Rather than encouraging users to poll the central site for changes, we
> would be able to
> have a mailing list to which the changes get automatically distributed.
> I bring this up now because such a service shuold be documented on the CD
> if it is
> going to exist.

No kidding.  I have been so desperate to get some sort of working
patch mechanism going (you wouldn't *believe* the number of requests I
get for this from people who quite understandably just want to update
their bits, not reinstall them from scratch) that I've even contemplated
the resurrection of the *patch kit*!

Surely we can do something better than that?

> While I am on the topic of Release support. I suggest that the support for
> -stable be dropped.

Well, it's not something that actually requires "active support" to I
don't see any particular reason not to continue making it available
via sup, at least.  As a point of fact, it's going to change so rarely
(and minutely) in the post-2.1 timeframe that I don't expect it to be
much more than a peripheral interest item for those very few who want
to keep a close eye on how 2.1.1 (which will almost certainly occur)
is coming along.

As to the nomenclature, well, I'm not prepared to tilt at that
particular windmill right now, as worthwhile a pursuit that might be
(at least in the abstract).  Technically speaking, it's not a big
issue to keep -stable and -current alive.

					Jordan