Date:      Fri, 09 Mar 2018 00:13:03 +0100
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>
To:        Ted Hatfield <ted@io-tx.com>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD has a politics problem

Hi, Reference:

Ted Hatfield wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Mar 2018, Federico Caminiti wrote:
> >

> >> Surely, there is overlap among those who want to use FreeBSD and those
> >> who are embarrassed for the project given how the CoC has been received,
> >> and in that overlap group I can see how some would perceive the CoC as
> >> unnecessary, unnecessarily specific, or insulting.
> >>

> > I myself am also  concerned about this.  The initial intention to create a
> > Code of Conduct was announced in the " freebsd-announce" mailing list (1)
> > but no further discussion seems to have taken place anywhere. There is a
> > "conduct" mailing list (2) which sound like it was created for a discussion
> > of this sort, but as of today (08/03/2018) it seems to be empty. Like many,
> > my main point of contention is that this was decided behind closed doors
> > and there was no public discussion on the matter.
> >
> > What was the rationale for choosing Geek Feminism Wiki as guide on how to
> > implement a code of conduct and not for example, the KDE Code of Conduct
> > (3) or the Contributor Covenant (4) ?. The last one seems closer in spirit
> > to what is trying to be achieved here, without inflamatory and/or
> > politically charged language. Maybe there are non-arbitrary reasons behind
> > the creation of this new CoC, but since it was discussed in private, we
> > have no way to know.
> >
> > [1] - https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-announce/
> > 2016-January/001691.html
> > [2] - https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/conduct/
> > [3] - https://www.kde.org/code-of-conduct/
> > [4] - https://www.contributor-covenant.org/version/1/4/code-of-conduct.html
> >

> I've read the published Code of Conduct here:
>
> https://www.freebsd.org/internal/code-of-conduct.html
>
> all of the provisions listed appear to me to be reasonable.
>
> Rather than get all bent out of shape about the fact that it's based upon
> the example policy at "Geek Feminism" I would like to hear exactly what's
> in the code of conduct you object to.

There's good bits but bad bits too. Reluctant to reiterate.  I
suggest re-skim the many points other have made. Theyre all in
archive, eg one I posted:
https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-advocacy/2018-March/004699.html

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, Computer Consultant, Systems Engineer, BSD Linux Unix, Munich
 Brexit Referendum stole 3,700,000 votes, inc. 700,000 from British in EU.