Date:      Tue, 12 Dec 1995 20:38:20 -0600 (CST)
From:      Rob Snow <rsnow@txdirect.net>
To:        Donald Burr <d_burr@ix.netcom.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Good text-based telcom program? Working MINICOM?

On Tue, 12 Dec 1995, Donald Burr wrote:
> I can't believe I'm finding myself pining (no pun intended... see my
> true.  Having only 8 MB of memory and a meagre student's income (WITH
> debts outstanding to boot) isn't very easy, and makes running X a pain in
> the you-know-where.  And when I found that the only comms package in the
> ports directory was "Seyon" -- an X-based one -- I wasn't very happy
> about it.
>
> So I'm finding myself in the need of a good text-based comm program.
> Kermit works, after a fashion, but I really want something with a little
> more "zip" to it (and ease of use, maybe).
>
> In my Linux days, I had trusty old Minicom.  Loved that program.  The
> interface was decent, the dialing directory was cool, and I loved
> auto-start Zmodem downloads.  On a whim, I grabbed the minicom-1.71
> sources from sunsite, and found to my delight that the documentation
> stated that it compiles under FreeBSD.  But I was disappointed to find
> that the program compiled allright, but DID NOT RUN -- it didn't crash or
> anything, but the program just wouldn't communicate with my modem.  In
> that respect, the documentation lies like a rug.
[SNIP]
> Donald Burr [d_burr@ix.netcom.com], PO Box 91212, Santa Barbara CA 93190-1212
> TEL (805)564-1871 / FAX 564-2315 / WWW http://www.geopages.com/WallStreet/2072
> PGP Public Key available by request (send e-mail) or on Public Key Servers.
> ** Uphold your right to privacy - Use PGP. **

I've had the same results with my machine (205 & 210).  Looks REALLY
nice (I'm an old Telix user).  But 'it dont work'.  In my weak
attempt to hack MiniCom I had less luck than you... :-(

I think it'd make a great addition to the ports tree.  Unfortunately,
I believe that my cross-eyed attempt told me that I might not be
the person to do it.  I would, however, try and take another look
if you'll send me your patches.

Rob Snow                                        Powered by FreeBSD
rsnow@txdirect.net                          http://www.freebsd.org