Date:      Tue, 10 Dec 2002 18:12:15 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@bellavista.cz>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: your mail

On 2002-12-09 21:24, Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@bellavista.cz> wrote:
> # pacman@huji.ac.il / 2002-12-09 09:52:21 +0200:
> > Any one can explaind me why FreeBSD doesn't have the KERNEL stored under
> > /boot?
>
>     most probably historical reasons; it's under /boot in -CURRENT IIRC.

Yep.  Under 5.X the kernel and its associated modules live under a
subdirectory of /boot, called /boot/kernel by default.  Mind you, this
is not mandatory or enforced by the boot loader (everything is
configurable, and you can still tweak your configuration files to make
the setup of 5.X look exactly like the one in 4.X).  I'm just saying
what the default is...