Date:      Tue, 02 Feb 1999 20:25:57 +0500
From:      Konstantin Chuguev <joy@urc.ac.ru>
To:        Josef Karthauser <joe@pavilion.net>
Cc:        Michael.Bielicki@Linkdesign.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, Alex Povolotsky <tarkhil@asteroid.svib.ru>
Subject:   Re: YP-like mySQL thing

Josef Karthauser wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 02, 1999 at 04:36:47PM +0200, Michael.Bielicki@Linkdesign.com wrote:
> > Why don't you use a password for root ???
>
> Too much like lateral thinking ;)  [doh!]

Not exactly :-)
Of course, root should have its password in /etc/master.passwd. Other users
shouldn't necessarily. For example, I need to maintain a database of users on an
ISP site. I have to manage with lots of config files of various Internet services
(POP/IMAP account, WWW account, dial-up, UUCP, UNIX shell, user's domain in DNS,
<name it yourself>). With a single database, it is easy to reflect automatically
information from the database tables to UNIX config files. Very easy user
addition/deletion/change etc.

--
        Konstantin V. Chuguev.          System administrator of Southern
        http://www.urc.ac.ru/~joy/      Ural Regional Center of FREEnet,