Date:      Mon, 18 Aug 1997 13:29:43 -0700 (PDT)
From:      lamaster@george.arc.nasa.gov
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Failure to mount / after successful boot on wd2

I am attempting to get FreeBSD (2.2.2, although I could use 3.0-current
if that would solve it), to boot off of a second EIDE disk which is
master on the second EIDE controller.  Win95 owns the disk on the
first controller.

I installed the Booteasy MBR on both disks, it seems to work fine,
I point it at the second disk, it boots, it does everything perfectly
correctly and happily until it wants to go multiuser and mount /,
then, it can't mount root from "wd1" (why is "wd1" here, I thought
we were using wd0 and wd2?) and then it dies.  If I take the exact
same disk, edit /etc/fstab (boot from floppy, mount using fixit),
to point at wd0 instead of wd2, and disconnect the w95 disk
at wd0 and reconnect the freebsd disk there, it works fine.
Why can't it mount root on wd2, and what is pointing at "wd1"
since /etc/fstab is set to mount filesystems on wd2?  As I said,
changing only /etc/fstab entries to wd0, everything works fine
if the disk is the master disk on the primary controller.

[Environment: Award BIOSes, largish EIDE disks, using CHS addressing
for FreeBSD, LBA for Win95, a single slice (FDISK partition) on each
disk, 4 Unix partitions /, swap, /var, /usr on the FreeBSD slice,
named a, b, e, and f.  Nothing exotic.]

-Hugh LaMaster

  Hugh LaMaster, M/S 258-5,     ASCII Email:  hlamaster@mail.arc.nasa.gov
  NASA Ames Research Center     Or:           lamaster@nas.nasa.gov
  Moffett Field, CA 94035-1000  No Junkmail:  USC 18 section 2701
  Phone:  415/604-1056          Disclaimer:   Unofficial, personal *opinion*.