Date:      Thu, 20 Aug 2020 12:56:37 +0100
From:      Bob Bishop <rb@gid.co.uk>
To:        Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>
Cc:        "Greg 'groggy' Lehey" <grog@freebsd.org>, Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>, "freebsd-arch@freebsd.org" <freebsd-arch@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: PC Card, gone in 13

Hi,

> On 19 Aug 2020, at 05:26, Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca> wrote:
>=20
> Greg Lehey wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 18 August 2020 at  1:20:56 -0600, Warner Losh wrote:
>>> As discussed in the past, it's time to remove PC Card support. Not =
CardBus
>>> support, but PC Card support. this is the16-bit PCMCIA stuff from =
long ago.
>>> It relied on many 16-bit drivers that have since been removed from =
the
>>> tree. What remains is a shadow of its former self. There used to be =
two
>>> dozen or so drivers. This has dwindled down to 9, none of which are
>>> especially relevant (and all of which have replacement hardware =
available).
>>=20
>> I still have an old machine with PCMCIA hardware.
>>=20
>>> The drivers to be removed: an, cmx, wi, ng_bt3c
>>=20
>> Notably wi.
>>=20
>>> an and wi are old 802.11b drivers that are no longer relevant.
>>=20
>> A lot depends on the hardware, of course.  It's certainly relevant to
>> my old Dell machine.
>>=20
>>> There's no systems that FreeBSD supports that are 16-bit only PC
>>> Card systems.
>>=20
>> I suppose that depends on what you mean by "supports".
>>=20
>> However: these old machines all have (by modern standards) tiny
>> memory.  My Dell machine has 256 MB RAM, so modern versions of =
FreeBSD
>> just won't run on it.
> FreeBSD-current works fine on my 256Mbyte i386.

I have a Soekris net4801 with 128MB RAM running CURRENT i386 at r364182 =
with the GENERIC kernel.

That doesn=E2=80=99t mean it=E2=80=99s a great idea, but everything =
works and it=E2=80=99s possible to compile stuff if you aren=E2=80=99t =
in a rush. This box does have 128GB of SSD to work with though.