Date:      Wed, 27 Feb 2002 20:56:51 -0500
From:      Chris Faulhaber <jedgar@fxp.org>
To:        "Frost, Stephen C" <stephen.c.frost@intel.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, "'freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD, SMP and Performance Speeds?

--AhhlLboLdkugWU4S

On Wed, Feb 27, 2002 at 04:26:35PM -0800, Frost, Stephen C wrote:
>=20
> All -
>=20
> I have RTFM'd, with little luck.  Can some enlightened soul impart knowle=
dge
> upon me, thus letting me know why any kernels compiled with SMP enabled s=
eem
> to be slowing the whole system down?  Throughput goes down by 40%.  Tasks
> take twice as long to run, etc, etc...
>=20
> I have multiple boxes (Dells, IBM's, Microns, Gateways...) running FreeBSd
> 4.5, all showing the same phenomenon.  I initially mistook it for a NIC
> driver issue, but it appears to be system-wide.  And is directly linked to
> SMP: two kernels, identical EXCEPT that one has SMP enabled, the other no=
t.
> The enabled kernel that *should* be fully utilizing multi-procs is sudden=
ly
> effectively running at half speed.
>=20
> Is this a config issue?  Any helpful hints?  Or is it better just to keep
> SMP disabled on a multi-proc box?
>=20

Is this an old Pentium?  If so, update to a recent -stable;
a fix was committed a few weeks ago fixing a problem where
the caches on both processors were not enabled on Pentiums.
Otherwise, we have a few PII and PIII boxes here that work
quite under 4.5.

(oh, you might want to try the freebsd-smp list)

--=20
Chris D. Faulhaber - jedgar@fxp.org - jedgar@FreeBSD.org
FreeBSD: The Power To Serve   -   http://www.FreeBSD.org

--AhhlLboLdkugWU4S