Date:      Fri, 13 Nov 1998 10:25:54 +0100
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
To:        Juergen Nickelsen <ni@tellique.de>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: gpl'd diff files

On Fri, Nov 13, 1998 at 10:03:59AM +0100, Juergen Nickelsen wrote:
[... on RMS "rules of reference" for re-implementing Unix software
...]
> Of course this is about GPLed software versus UNIX(TM) software, but I
> think some of it can be applied to BSD-licensed software versus GPLed
> software as well.

It can, and for critical parts (like the kernel), it probably should.
However, there is one very simple loophole that RMS does not describe
(due to it not being applicable to his context): Contact the author of
the code you want to reference and ask if it is OK that you use it as
a reference for a BSD-licensed program.  You'll usually even be able
to get an OK to re-license it.

Eivind.