Date:      Tue, 25 Aug 1998 19:28:44 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Andrzej Bialecki <abial@nask.pl>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Panic with DEVFS

Hi,

It was pointed to me that it's very easy to panic -current system running
DEVFS on /dev, with / on MFS.

The problem manifested itself with picobsd floppy. The following scenario
causes panic with "mfs_strategy: bad dev":

1. boot with -c
2. disable at least one device
3. log in
4. cd /dev
5. ls -l

What's funny is that when I do 'ls' (without -l) in step 5., everything is
ok.

My guess is that DEVFS doesn't like these devices which are present in
kernel, but are disabled...

Andrzej Bialecki