Date:      Sat, 08 Feb 2020 17:34:17 +0500
From:      Dmitrii Postolov <dpostolov@yandex.ru>
To:        dmn <graahnul.grom@ya.ru>, "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: No sound by default on FreeBSD-12.1-p2-amd64

Hi, Dmitry,

sysctl hw.snd.default_unit=0 for Back panel speakers for Intel NUC5PPYH
sysctl hw.snd.default_unit=1 for Front panel headphones for Intel NUC5PPYH

sysctl hw.snd.default_unit=3 for HDMI sound output, but NUC5 is plugged to
the display with D-Sub so I can't test HDMI sound. Intel NUC DN2820FYKH
with HDMI now on NetBSD and plugged with Back panel audio jack.

dmitrii@nuc5:~ % mixer
Mixer vol      is currently set to  85:85
Mixer pcm      is currently set to 100:100
Mixer igain    is currently set to   0:0
Mixer ogain    is currently set to 100:100

On previous letter I wrote that on FreeBSD no sound with settings by default ->
with configure sysctl hw.snd.default_unit=X (X = output device) and sound
plays only after setting sysctl dev.hdac.0.polling=1 -> some problem with
interrupts of sound device and FreeBSD sound driver. Problem only on FreeBSD.
Sound with artefacts (sound freeze) plays after sysctl dev.hdac.0.polling=1 but this
is better than nothing. On other operating systems (for example, NetBSD) sound is
fine by default on this Intel NUCs.

This is not only my problem. In Internet I search some similar issues and the
workaround always was sysctl dev.hdac.0.polling=1.