Date:      Mon, 18 May 2020 16:51:38 -0700
From:      bob prohaska <fbsd@www.zefox.net>
To:        David Mehler <dave.mehler@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 12.1 on Raspberry Pi 3B+, completely headless?

On Mon, May 18, 2020 at 06:10:41PM -0400, David Mehler wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Thanks for the confirmation that onboard ethernet works. I've booted
> the pi and I'm not seeing it on the network. I've tried mounting the
> freebsd partition under a linux virtual machine which it's fdisk shows
> it as /dev/sdd2 later in the display shows it up as 15. I can not get
> it to mount so am not sure what rc.conf is doing, I was hoping it
> would get a dhcp address since it's plugged directly in. I also did
> add a blank ssh file to the /dev/sdd1 partition.
>
> Suggestions?

Have you tried plugging in a monitor and keyboard temporarily, just
to see what's going on? My guess is that it's getting stuck in single-
user mode, or maybe not booting at all for some reason. It definitely
should pick up a DHCP connection if it gets to multi-user. I'd expect
that to answer ping if nothing else.

My only experience re Linux is with Raspbian, and Raspbian absolutely
cannot mount ufs filesystems, so what you're seeing seems normal.

hth,

bob prohaska