Date:      Mon, 03 Dec 2007 23:19:49 -0500
From:      "Alexandre \"Sunny\" Kovalenko" <gaijin.k@gmail.com>
To:        Balgansuren Batsukh <balgaa@micom.mn>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD-6.2, 7.0-BETA1 on X60

On Mon, 2007-12-03 at 21:31 +0800, Balgansuren Batsukh wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I tried to install FreeBSD on X60 using PXE boot, but unsuccessfully finish
> my attempt.
>
> When it start PXE boot it get IP address from DHCP, download PXE boot file
> from TFTP server,
> then trying to load kernel image from TFTP server.
>
> After 10-20 minutes it give me error message "can't load kernel", I tried
> many times load boot/kernel/kernel, but same result.
>
> I guess PXE boot read much longer time to load kernel file and suddenly give
> me error message.
>
> I followed instruction on http://www.hack.org/mc/freebsd-x60.html
>
> I made X60---->LAN switch---->TFTP/DHCP/NFS server and even tried
> X60---cross-over cable---->TFTP/DHCP/NFS server.
>
> Is there any suggestion?

I have built my X60 from such a setup and then used it as the "FixIt"
environment more then a few times. Here are relevant bits from the
server (watch out for the line wrapping):

=== /usr/local/etc/dhcpd.conf (I am using isc-dhcp3-server-3.0.5_2)
option domain-name "rabbitslawn.verizon.net";
option domain-name-servers rabbitslawn.verizon.net;

default-lease-time 600;
max-lease-time 7200;

authoritative;

ddns-update-style none;

log-facility local7;

server-name "twinhead";
server-identifier 10.0.3.236;
next-server 10.0.3.236;

subnet 10.0.3.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
  range 10.0.3.33 10.0.3.64;
  option routers 10.0.3.242;
  option domain-name-servers 10.0.3.242;
  option root-path "/SHARED/tftpboot";
  filename "boot/pxeboot";
}

=== /etc/exports (excerpt)
/SHARED  -alldirs

=== /etc/inetd.conf (excerpt)
tftp    dgram   udp     wait    root    /usr/libexec/tftpd      tftpd -u
sunny -l -s /SHARED/tftpboot

=== /etc/rc.conf (excerpt)
nfs_server_enable="YES"
rpcbind_enable="YES"

=== /SHARED/tftpboot
Contains fairly old (February 2007) snapshot of then 7-CURRENT with two
modifications

=== /SHARED/tftpboot/boot/loader.rc
echo Loading Kernel...
load /boot/kernel/kernel
echo Loading mfsroot...
load -t mfs_root /mfsroot
echo booting...
echo \007\007
echo initializing h0h0magic...
set vfs.root.mountfrom="ufs:/dev/md0c"
boot

=== /SHARED/tftpboot/mfsroot
Is the decompressed version of /SHARED/tftpboot/boot/mfsroot.gz.

I can confirm that stopping NFS on the server will give the symptoms
roughly corresponding to the ones you are describing, so the first thing
I would recommend checking is the ability to mount your equivalent of
the "/SHARED/tftpboot" above.

Hopefully this is all I have done to get this to work -- I have picked
most of it from someone's web page, but I could not find original URL
ATM.