Date:      Sun, 06 Nov 2005 01:11:28 +0900 (JST)
From:      Hiroki Sato <hrs@FreeBSD.org>
To:        remko@elvandar.org
Cc:        cejkar@fit.vutbr.cz, freebsd-www@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Problems with new web design

----Security_Multipart(Sun_Nov__6_01_11_28_2005_521)--

"Remko Lodder" <remko@elvandar.org> wrote
  in <64186.145.221.92.42.1131027390.squirrel@webmail.evilcoder.org>:

re> Not by sgmlnorm indeed, but a newer version of tidy is capable of doing
re> so. Hiroki Sato was looking into this and it's one of my open PR's....
re> (hrs CC'ed)
re>
re> What was said at the time that we only needed to merge the --preserve
re> option and test away after that. So we can solve this, not by sgmlnorm
re> but via tidy. The only difficult item is that there is no normal
re> version of tidy anymore. The current tidy is not maintained anymore and
re> there is a devel version available which updates every x period of
re> time.
re>
re> @hrs: idea's?

 Sorry for the delay.  This case conversion of the id attribute is
 required according to the SGML specification, so the sgmlnorm's behavior
 is correct.  It means <foo id=bar> and <foo id=BAR> are identical and
 sgmlnorm normalizes them into <foo id=BAR>.  You can see attributes
 other than "id" preserves the case.

 However, the XML specification distinguishes the case.  We have used
 HTML 4.01 DTD (SGML) for our www tree and *forcibly* converted the
 docs to XHTML 1.0 (XML) by using tidy(1).  This problem is caused by
 this pushiness.

 Well, I think simply using capital letters in the id attribute
 consistently solves the problem...or, am I missing something?