Date:      Fri, 04 May 2001 08:42:37 +1000
From:      George Michaelson <ggm@apnic.net>
To:        "Greg Smith" <gregsmith59@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DELL Latitude 400 and pccard?

  > 1)  Did you try the same setup under Windows to verify that it is OK?  If
    > so, and it worked, you ought to print out the report from Device Manager
  > and  send it in.

Will try to asap. No, I didn't do this beyond the trivial non-hang case test.

  > 2)  Did you try IRQ5?  It looks like you have a PCI sound card which has
  > been put on IRQ10.  That is lucky, because it looks like IRQ5 is free.

Yes, I tried this and it works in as much as I now get pcic working, pc card
insertion works (and removal) I get no hangs, but I still get (NULL) (NULL)
card recognition and I don't think I understand (yet) how to get a free irq
or make a free irq on this box, so I can allocate it to the pccard under the
pcic controller now on 5. 5 is one of the irqs that pccard.conf tries to use
to allocate to its 'children' so I assume I now have to (a) override that
in the /etc/pccard.conf and (b) find another one to use..

  > 3)  Did you try disabling USB in the BIOS, if possible?  It seems to be
the
  > only thing on IRQ 11.

Ok. Thats worth persuing. I've nver used USB, so I don't mind doing without it
but it does beg the question: what does somebody who NEEDS usb do, if they
also need to use pcmcia? How does windeath manage this?

  > HTH,

Very much so. Thanks for the feedback.

cheers
	-George