Date:      Wed, 21 Feb 2024 16:49:30 +0000
From:      David Chisnall <theraven@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Brooks Davis <brooks@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com>, FreeBSD Toolchain <freebsd-toolchain@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: system clang's -debugger-tuning setting: Is the default gdb setting intended?

On 21 Feb 2024, at 16:43, Brooks Davis <brooks@freebsd.org> wrote:
>=20
> On Tue, Feb 20, 2024 at 05:54:25PM -0800, Mark Millard wrote:
>> [Curiosity, not an objection.]
>>=20
>> It appears that most likely all FreeBSD platforms get the gdb
>> setting by default . . .
>=20
> I'm not sure we've thought about it much, but gdb is almost certainly
> the right default tuning since it's what most developers are accustom
> to.

I hadn=E2=80=99t realised that was the default, but I guess that =
explains why my debugging experience is worse on FreeBSD than on macOS, =
even though they both ship the same compiler and debugger.

I would assume that anyone who installs a debugger from ports can change =
the default.

I=E2=80=99m also curious about the =E2=80=98most developers=E2=80=99, =
since lldb is the default debugger for both iOS and Android, and neither =
lldb nor gdb are the default on Windows), so of the three biggest =
platforms two use lldb and zero use gdb.  Even among FreeBSD developers, =
I=E2=80=99m not sure that the majority are installing a GNU component =
from ports when there=E2=80=99s a debugger that *doesn=E2=80=99t* forget =
your command history across invocations right there in the base system.

David