Date:      Sat, 30 May 1998 09:20:39 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bill Vermillion <bill@bilver.magicnet.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Backup Power?

Recently Steve Ames said:

> This is more than a little off topic, but here goes.

> My company operates a number of remote POPs and we want to upgrade
> our backup power. Our minimum target is 2 hours (would like to
> get closer to 8) and most POPs consist of 4-6 Adtran CSU, a Cisco
> 4000 and a couple of Ascend Max 4048.

> I've queried a couple of UPS manufacturers and they're going to quote
> me up something but I'm not sure UPSs are the way to go... anyone
> played with other options such as generators?

BEST makes some serious units.   Backup power can be quite long,
and some of their units also come with a gas generator or for the
large units, a diesel generator.

They have automatic failover from battery to generator.  They are
quite robust.

Also check Liebert.

--
bill@bilver.magicnet.net | bill@bilver.com