Date:      Thu, 30 Nov 2017 19:30:27 -0500
From:      Jung-uk Kim <jkim@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Tyler M <yoyomow@hotmail.com>, "vbox@FreeBSD.org" <vbox@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 11.1 amd64 Virtualbox-ose 5.1.28_2 bridged networking not working

--AQ9MmbSlJ6R0kmvSCWp2BjHAAsckR7cp6
From: Jung-uk Kim <jkim@FreeBSD.org>
To: Tyler M <yoyomow@hotmail.com>, "vbox@FreeBSD.org" <vbox@FreeBSD.org>
Subject: Re: FreeBSD 11.1 amd64 Virtualbox-ose 5.1.28_2 bridged networking not
 working

--q5w9iroFvrW1AVeT7FjodWQi7vFxqeaLh

On 11/30/2017 17:53, Tyler M wrote:
> Hello,
>=20
> I'm using an acer aspire 5735-4774 laptop, installed on it is FreeBSD 1=
1.1 amd64.
>=20
> My issue arises after installing virtualbox-ose 5.1.28_2 with "pkg inst=
all virtualbox-ose"=20
>=20
> 1. I added vboxnet_enable=3D"YES" to /etc/rc.conf
> 2. I added vboxdrv_load=3D"YES" to /boot/loader.conf
> 3. I rebooted
> 4. I created a FreeBSD 11.1 amd64 virtual machine
> 5. I set the network adapter to bridged mode inside the virtualbox sett=
ings menu.
> 6. I fail to get an ip address over dhcp during the install.
>=20
> It's not just dhcp I can't send any traffic out of any kind of vm when =
using bridged networking. I tried the nat interface option and that works=
 but I can't send icmp traffic which is an issue for me.
>=20
> I also fail to get network connectivity when using a linux vm as well.
>=20
> I tried setting my bridged interface to my wlan0 wireless interface, an=
d my msk0 ethernet interface both yield the same results on bsd and linux=
 vms.
>=20
> My only workaround this far is to install Linux on this laptop and run =
virtualbox on Linux then my bridged networking works perfectly with both =
my wireless and ethernet interfaces and all types of traffic.

Have you read the handbook?

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/virtualization-host-virtualbox.html

Jung-uk Kim