Date:      Tue, 12 Nov 1996 11:17:25 +0500
From:      "David Alderman" <dave@persprog.com>
To:        "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>, Harlan Stenn <Harlan.Stenn@pfcs.com>, rschof@mccomm.nl, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: After changing to an AHA2940 I can't boot the kernel.

> From:          "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>

> >Most likely problem: the sector mapping on one controller is different from
> >that on the other.
>
> This is theoretically possible.  But in the Real World, I have never
> seen this happen, juggling drives between a BusLogic BT747s, a BT956c,
> an Adaptec 2940UW, and an NCR 53c810.  I think I mixed a 1542 in there
> a few times, too, but I'm not positive.

You must have never used Future Domain, have you?  ;-)

All of the controllers you mentioned forutnately use the same
geometry scheme AFAIK.  There are controllers out there that use
different mapping schemes that can cause failure - particularly older
models.  Also DOS>1G support can cause boot loader problems, although
I don't remember the boot loader failure in the place mentioned.

Actually I have encountered what appears to be a geometry
problem involving the same controller in two different motherbards.
Going from a ASUS P55TP4N to an ASUS P55T2P4 with a hard disk and
controller results in a failure to load the boot loader.  Of course,
this was under SCO (and who knows what atrocities they are committing
in their boot loader) but it's still quite a mystery.

When philosophy conflicts with reality, choose reality.
Dave Alderman  -- dave@persprog.com