Date:      Wed, 6 Mar 1996 13:29:17 +0800 (HKT)
From:      John Beukema <john@gate.gateway.net.hk>
To:        Anthony Ho <aho@hyh.pc.my>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD or BSDI

1. Both are good, mature systems and work well.
2. If you can get up and running on FreeBSD great. The more you know, the
more reasons to go FreeBSD.
3. BSDI supposedly has telephone support but it will not do you much good
in this time zone.
4.  the FreeBSD support groups are friendly, helpful and the
documentation is getting better all the time.  There are a lot of ISPs
running FreeBSD.
5.  Be careful with both systems that you get compatible equipment but
FreeBSD has more drivers.  Read the equipment FAQs
6.  $995 is without source code.  It is very handy to have source code
when a problem arises and you cannot understand what is happening.
7.  BSDI comes with more systems configured but all of the ISP packages
are available as packages (self installing) or ports (nearly so).

My recommendation would be to go FreeBSD but only RELEASES 2.1.0 and later
2.2R unless you realy know what you are doing.
I started with BSDI at Gateway.net.hk as a newbie and then installed
FreeBSD on a big busy news server for another HK ISP
In any event you are on the right track -- they are very similar systems.
jbeukema