Date:      15 May 1999 18:32:42 +0200
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>, Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: desktop, was linus on BSD

Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com> writes:
> Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
> > Or any recent Sun Ultra (not Ultra Enterprise). El cheapo Sun
> > workstations with PCI motherboards, IDE drives, M64 framebuffers and
> > rebranded OEM monitors.
> Which just beat absolute hell out of the SPARCstation 5 on my desk
> now.  You seem to imply there's something wrong with buying a fast,
> reliable workstation for $2500.

I didn't say it was wrong. I don't like the monitors they ship with
(they're OK - I have an identical Hitachi-branded monitor at work -
but nowhere near as good as the trinitron monitors they ship with
high-end workstations), but they're nice little boxen.

>                                 I think it's great.  Finally a
> low-end Sun with 16- and 24-bit color.  That M64 framebuffer beats
> the TGX hands down

Unfortunately, they ship it with too little memory to handle full
resolution at full color depth (unless there are upgrade options I'm
not aware of).

One very nice thing with Sun and framebuffers is the driver API. It's
practically trivial to write direct-access code which works just as
well on a CG6 as on an M64 or a Creator (except that IIRC the Creator
only runs in 24-bit mode, whereas the CG6 only runs in 8-bit mode and
the M64 can handle both).

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@flood.ping.uio.no