Date:      Mon, 17 Jun 1996 11:41:46 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mark Tinguely <tinguely@plains.nodak.edu>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, rich@rich.isdn.bcm.tmc.edu
Cc:        hardware@freebsd.org, sef@kithrup.com
Subject:   Re: Tape drive questions/recommendations

>  Just for comparison, I just had a WangDAT 3200 repaired
>  by the factor (now Tekmar) and they charged a flat fee
>  of $300.  I wonder how Sony and HP compare on repairs?
>  If they are  more reasonable I'd switch.

I had our Sony SDT-5000 cleaned and re-aligned for $250.00 about 6
months ago, and just this weekend she started to be weird again;
hanging the SCSI when writing to the tape, but reading works fine.

Back in 11/95, they estimated normal repairs to cost $285, and
major repairs to cost $412. Considering the drive is worth about $700
I think these repair numbers are high.

--mark.