Date:      Tue, 11 Sep 2001 09:44:19 -0700
From:      Jordan Hubbard <jkh@freebsd.org>
To:        jesper@freebsd.org
Cc:        pantzer@ludd.luth.se, hubs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 4.4 upcoming release/timetabling/mirroring

From: Jesper Skriver <jesper@FreeBSD.ORG>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 09:41:53 +0200

> If we can decide that a tier1 mirror is required to have, say 100
> GB available, then it's up to the release engineer to ensure that
> no more than 98 GB is on ftp-master, thus ensuring that the
> mirrors won't run out of space.

Well, I can only give you a range since there has to be *some* room
for variation and the "release engineer" cannot give you any
assurances that the size will stay under X because the release
engineer only controls a portion of the content on ftp-master.freebsd.org.
Some of the largest content there represents various versions of the
packages collection and the distfiles, for example, and that content
is managed directly by various portmeisters and buildmasters.

All I can really tell you is that current demands are around 65GB and
should be expected to get no larger than 150GB over the next 12 months
since I'd expect us to prune some content as the packages collection
grows and subsequent releases are made.  If there's any one truism
about disk space, however, it's that content grows exponentially to
fill it and I expect ftp-master to be no exception.  Even with the
most aggressive pruning and an attention to removing old stuff, I have
to be a pessimist about this and figure that 100GB in the near future
is a scenario not at all out of the question.

- Jordan