Date:      Thu, 4 Dec 1997 09:37:57 +0200 (SAT)
From:      John Hay <jhay@mikom.csir.co.za>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.0 -release ?

> >> Perhaps I overstated the issue, I get up times of many weeks on my dual P6
> >> here that is used as a development system.  Obviously many others are also
> >> using SMP for real work.  But the efficiency just isn't there yet.  We
> >> would bench very poorly against a good SMP system, and thats what needs
> >> improvement b4 we go prime-time with SMP.
> >
> >What about smaller steps? Stabilize the current SMP code and make a
> >release with it (3.0) and then put the next stuff (threaded kernel,
> >removal of the single kernel lock, etc.) in a next release. That
> >way we have shorter release cycles and more people can get exposed
> >to the new features that is currently in -current. I mean, there is
> >nothing that say our first SMP release should be the ultimate one,
> >is there?
>
>    Actually, there is, sort of. The problem is that a large number of people
> will be evaluating FreeBSD/SMP when it is released, and if the performance
> sucks, this is what magazine reviewers will say and is what people will
> remember. It's too important of a feature to have working poorly in the
> first release.

Ok, but how do we measure it, so that we can know when we get there?
(I don't think it is realistic to expect that we will half the time
that make world takes, except maybe if we throw lots of disks and
controllers at it, for instance.) And how bad do we do at the moment?
Things that are more processor intensive than syscall intensive like
rc564, do get almost full speed out of the CPUs, so if that were a
measurement we could ship now. :-)

John
--
John Hay -- John.Hay@mikom.csir.co.za