Date:      Wed, 17 Mar 1999 01:34:33 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <dyson@iquest.net>
To:        alk@pobox.com
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Use of "register" in code

Anthony Kimball said:

> > >     I doubt it would make performance worse.  I think GCC basically just
> > >     ignores it for IA32.
>
> > It does ignore it.
>
> This is categorically wrong.  GCC does not ignore "register"
> declarations.  It honors the ANSI standard C semantics for
> register-qualified types in at least some circumstances, even without
> supplying -ansi or -pedantic options.  I just tried it.

In the sense of "optimization" it does ignore it.  I agree that
register is considered to be something like "auto" from certain
standpoints.  However, it seemed that the context was optimization,
and choosing "register" to produce better code.

There should be *few* cases of the *need* to use "register" in code.

Again, the context was optimization.

dyson@iquest.net      | it makes one look stupid