Date:      Mon, 7 Apr 2003 17:24:42 -0500
From:      Nathan Stratton Treadway <nathanst@ontko.com>
To:        emulation@freebsd.org
Cc:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Subject:   Re: vmware and turbotax

On Mon, 13 Jan 2003, Julian Elischer wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Jan 2003, Mark Santcroos wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Jan 13, 2003 at 12:04:08PM -0800, Julian Elischer wrote:
> > > Yeah mine ran the last few years as well,
> > > just not the new one..
> > >
> > > stops immediatly with some error (I forget.. something descriptivelike:
> >
> > I don't know the program, but do you need a license or an activator for
> > it? (My question is: is it copy protection or something else?)
> > It could check for some things; cpuid, mac address, that sort of stuff.
>
> yes it has an activator and I thinkit is doing something like that.
> However it would be interesting what cpuid-type instruction vmware
> doesn't do, considering that win98 works and IT has
> similar activation.
>

> > What was that windows debugger called? WinIce or something like that?
> > You could give it a try to run it in there to find out what it is doing.
>
> possibly but at present I have it running on
> the raw hardware and I'll just buy the competition next year.

I found this old thread about TurboTax and VMWare when researching this
problem for myself, and thought some other readers of this list might be
interested to know that I found this article on the VMWare site:
 http://www.vmware.com/support/kb/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=901

Sure enough, turning acceleration off allows me to get past the
Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library "Runtime error! ... abnormal
program termination" dialog box that I otherwise got when starting
TurboTax 2002.

I haven't gone too far through the process, but it seems that I can turn
the acceleration back on as soon as the program is started, and it still
works fine.  (So it does seem to be related to the Macromedia licensing
software that Inuit added this year :( )

(This is with VMWare 3.2.0 running on a Linux host.)

						Nathan

Nathan Stratton Treadway      | nathanst@ontko.com |  Mid-Atlantic region
Software consulting services  | Ray Ontko & Co.    |  http://www.ontko.com/