Date:      Tue, 23 May 2000 23:52:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Preston S. Wiley" <pwiley@cadabra.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Mohit Aron <aron@cs.rice.edu>, Dan Feldman <protozoa@locutus.ghs.ssd.k12.wa.us>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD kernel as a replacement for Linux kernel

> Perhaps we should go just a bit further with that approach and make
> things _write_ into that hierarchy first as well, e.g. if you run
> /compat/linux/bin/bash and then install something with rpm, it will
> install (as far as it's concerned) into /usr/bin, /usr/lib, etc. but
> really be chrooted into the /compat/linux hierarchy and only affect
> things there.

Actually, I'm pretty sure that this does work as has since the 3.2 tree,
when I thought to try it and see if it would. You actually have 2 options.

1. You can run /compat/linux/bin/bash and then you in a sort of
Linux/FreeBSD directory mix. The root directory looks just like your
FreeBSD root, but changing to a directory that is in /compat/linux, like
/bin, will put in the linux tree of this directory, but changing to a
directory that doesn't exist, like /home, will keep you in the FreeBSD
structure. This is very close to being able to run FreeBSD and Linux at
the same time (/bin/csh in one xterm and /compat/linux/bin/bash in
another). Within this, you can do an rpm or any linux command and you
will be operating on the Linux/FreeBSD mix directory structure.

2. Just run /compat/linux/bin/rpm (or any other command in /compat/linux)
and you will be operating on the Linux directory structure as described
above.

I've found the Linux emulation on FreeBSD to be one of the best, most
integrated emulation I've ever seen of anything. I've messed around with
it quite a bit and discovered quite a few nifty tricks you can do. I've
never actually tried it, but I think you could probably compile Linux
binaries under FreeBSD by installing the Linux version of gcc and using
it.

Very cool stuff. Keep up the excellent work!

Preston Wiley						  GoTo.Com, Inc.
Systems Administrator			  1820 Gateway Drive, Suite 300
pwiley@cadabra.com			            San Mateo, CA 94404
650/403-2227                                     http://www.cadabra.com