Date:      Tue, 25 Nov 1997 17:40:48 -0800 (PST)
From:      Simon Shapiro <shimon@simon-shapiro.org>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        peter@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>, Stephen Roome <steve@visint.co.uk>
Subject:   Re: BIND 8.1.1

On 25-Nov-97 Nate Williams wrote:

> Only those who don't do their homework.  There is no need for 8.1.1
> for
> *anyone*, and since it will be changing, it'll be *more* work for
> them
> to upgrade to the next version when it comes up since it will also
> contain new changes, while if they stick with 4.9.6 (or if new bugs
> are
> found, 4.9.7, or whatever) until BIND 8 'stabilizes', the upgrade
> will
> only require *one* big change, rather than possibly lots of changes
> as
> BIND 8 is modified.

While your theory is a good one, reality disagrees with you.

*  There is no such thing as stable software.  I saw some recent
   changes to dd.c, and this one predates Unix.

*  Most people operate on perception, not on reality (so much so that
   they confuse the two :-).  Many people will choose other Unices over
   FreeBSD if they preceive it to be anything less than ``hotest''.

*  More new Network users (ISPs included) will choose Windoze NT over
   Unix because of what they perceive it to be.  I fight this one every
   day.

*  None of the above is in support of 8.1.1 or 9.2.3. Neither is it
   against it.

*  The idea of making BIND into a package is excellent.

All of the above are opinions, not facts, thus describing perception,
not reality :-)

> I'm sure Paul Vixie doesn't want the same thing to happen with BIND
> that
> happened with sendmail,

That, by definition cannot happen.

Simon