Date:      Fri, 31 Jul 1998 12:20:02 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
To:        Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, Dag-Erling Coidan Sm rgrav <smoergrd@oslo.geco-prakla.slb.com>, Pat Lynch <lynch@rush.net>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: plush toys

Sue Blake wrote:

> > > Well, last I checked, FreeBSD shipped with vi. It's even in our CVS
> > > tree, under src/usr.bin/vi :)
> >
> > I think you're missing the point.  If you want a vi cup, go buy one
> > from whomever sells it.  If you want a piece of FreeBSD merchandise
> > which isn't already offered, let's talk about it. :)
>
> What about a calendar for next year, marking off dates of current and
> historical interest, the odd paragraph on an interesting incident,
> landmark event, person or philosophy, a picture of the humble computer
> that breaks all these records, the first FreeBSD CD, daemons of
> yesteryear,

Excellent idea!! Hanging one on the office wall (or next to the coffee machine)
should certainly get the FreeBSD name well known.

> Jordan frolicking with his cats...

I bet such behaviour is illegal in some countries ;-)

> Maybe half a dozen pages of carefully selected reference info. FreeBSD
> URLs of course, but also things like an abridged vi reference (I'd
> prefer ed, actually), a list of those IP addresses that anyone can use,
> which branch to follow and why(not), that BSD genealogy diagram, and a
> whole lot of things I don't know about but should.

> Don't forget the audience is international.

That is important, for holidays etc.

> Make this section useful enough, and the
> rest entertaining enough, and it'll even be worth buying for those poor
> souls who still suffer some other kind of unix.

On the subject of calendars and Unix, can someone explain the following from
/usr/share/calendar/calendar.computer ....

 08/14   First Unix-based mallet created, 1954
                                          ^^^^

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't  Unix "invented" in 1969?

> --
>
> Regards,
>         -*Sue*-

CNC Apps Engineer           | One of the main causes of the fall |
Radan Computational Ltd     | of the Roman Empire was, that      |
mailto:marko@uk.radan.com   | lacking a zero, they had no way of |
                            | indicating the successful          |
                            | termination of their C programs    |