Date:      Wed, 7 Aug 2002 00:30:43 -0700
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <crist.clark@attbi.com>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ipfw and ipf start times..

On Mon, Aug 05, 2002 at 03:36:34PM -0700, Julian Elischer wrote:

> I notice that ipf is started very early in rc.network
> and ipfw is started somewhat later.
>
> Specifically ipfw is done after the interfaces are ifconfig'd up
> and ipf is done before.
>
> Does anyone know if there is a specific reason for this?
> (in 4.x)

I'm not sure if there is any reason, but historically, ipfw(8) has
defaulted to being closed when not configured and ipf(8) to being
open. This is seen in the kernel configuration options,

  options 	IPFIREWALL_DEFAULT_TO_ACCEPT	#allow everything by default

  options 	IPFILTER_DEFAULT_BLOCK	#block all packets by default

The defaults are the opposite. Thus, from a security standpoint you
want to configure ipf(8) before you setup the interfaces, while
ipfw(8) can wait.