Date:      Mon, 24 Jan 2000 12:16:20 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
Cc:        Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Please help spread the CVSup mirror load more evenly

In message <Pine.BSF.4.21.0001241405300.315-100000@picnic.mat.net> Chuck Robey writes:
: Oh.  If that's a problem, it would be a fatal problem (would be for me,
: sometimes).

It used to be a big problem.  When cvsup was first getting mirrors,
some seemed to update every 15 minutes, while others updated what
seemed like every two days.  A big part of the problem was contention
at the main cvsup server.  Since cvsup has gone to cvsup-master this
problem has all but disappeared.  The mirrors all have good
connectivity and can get updates on a timely basis.

In my limited testing recently, I've noticed no measurable time skew
between the servers.  My methodology wasn't the best in the world.  It
basically ran the following script a bunch of times:
	for i in 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8; do
		cvsup -h cvsup$i.freebsd.org
	done
and checked to see if files reverted between runs (and yes, I did have
delete in the cvsup file).  I the 10 or so times I ran it I got access
failures for some hosts, but I never saw reversions.

Another problem is that if you get partway through an update, the
connetion drops and you reconnect to a different cvsup server at a
different point in time.

In the past reversions have happened.  And fairly often when there was
a big skew.  People still remember that, so there is still resistance
to it.

Going back further to the sup days, swithcing sup servers was a huge
deal.  There you had all the attributes of the entire repo updated.
Not fun, nor protocol friendly.

For people updating 2x a day or less often, I doubt that switching
between responding cvsup servers would cause great pain, or any
effects at all.

It is a hard problem to get right all the time....

Warner