Date:      06 May 1997 17:38:00 +0100
From:      Paul Richards <p.richards@elsevier.co.uk>
To:        Iain Templeton <iaint@CU-SeeMe.educ.utas.edu.au>
Cc:        Sean Eric Fagan <sef@Kithrup.COM>, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: And now for something completely different

Iain Templeton <iaint@CU-SeeMe.educ.utas.edu.au> writes:

> On Mon, 5 May 1997, Sean Eric Fagan wrote:
>
> > For anyone in britain:  Ch. 4 (whatever that is) is going to be doing
> > animated versions of two Terry Pratchett books (_Wyrd Sisters_
> > and _Soul Musc_).
> >
> BBC Channel 4, its the ah, same channel who show other things like "Drop
> The Dead Donkey" (no idea if you get the over there either). I guess
> someone in the UK could give a breakdown of what all the BBC channels do,
> but I think 4 might be the more "alternative" - the do doco's and comedy
> etc...of course I could be completely wrong.

Umm, Channel 4 isn't in any way related to the BBC. A brief, and not
essentially completely accurate, description of the UK TV scene follows.

There is the British Broadcasting Corporation, which is a govt
financed broadcaster (although I think these days it gets extra
revenue from commercial sponsorship although there are controls over
what it can and can't do to raise money). All owners of receiving
equipment in the UK are required to hold a TV license, the money from
which is supposed to be used to finance (partially) the BBC. The BBC
has two channels, BBC 1 and BBC 2.

There is also a commercial network which is under the umbrella name of
ITV (Independant TV). It is made up of a whole number of regional
broadcasting companies who work together to support a national channel
but with some regional programming. These companies are granted
franchises from the govt to broadcast (every 5 years I think) and they
are financed entirely from advertising.

There's for some reason a separate franchise for early morning
broadcasting i.e. before 9 a.m.

For many years there were just these 3 channels. Then (about 10-15
years ago now I think, time passes quickly :-)) the govt decided it
was going to issue another franchise for a fourth channel that was
largely to be financed from advertising but I think has been receiving
a subsidy from the govt as well. It was given the really imaginative
name of "Channel 4" and yes, it does produce more "alternative"
programming.  At the same time they created a Welsh channel 4 which
shares many programs with Channel 4 but also produces some Welsh
language programming (you won't get a very polite reply from me if you
ask what Welsh is but as a clue, the UK is not synonymous with England
despite what some US citizens may think or for that matter some
English).

Just to keep you up to date. Last month another channel was launched
called, "Channel 5" which is also an advertising financed channel.
After 18 years of Conservative govt. the trend has very much been away
from govt. financed broadcasting so all new channels are franchised to
companies, even the BBC has faced considerable change with much more
emphasis on program sponsorship (but it doesn't have advertising slots
like the commercial stations or US stations, it has very low key
program sponsorship, you'll get a little message on the weather
bulletins for instance saying that the bulletin is sponsored by some
company or other).

The amount of money being granted to the BBC has I think been in
steady decline. A fairly obvious indication is the number of major
sporting events that it has lost the contracts for, either to the
commercial stations or the satellite stations.

--
  Dr Paul Richards. [p.richards@elsevier.co.uk]
  Originative Solutions Ltd.  [paul@originat.demon.co.uk]