Date:      Tue, 18 Apr 1995 14:48:11 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        kelly@fsl.noaa.gov (Sean Kelly)
Cc:        jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com, tom@haven.uniserve.com, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Buslogic?

>     Rodney> A ``good'' 486 PCI motherboard is the ASUS PCI/I-486SP3G,
>     Rodney> it has a built in NCR810 controller.
>
> Does anyone know why Paul Vixie (you listening, Paul?) can't recommend
> the NCR-based SCSI controller?

Becase he is selling to the BSD/OS user, and BSD/OS does not have
support for the card.

> Better questions: what are the disadvantages of the NCR810?

So far I have seen some compatibility problems between the sequencer
code that we use in FreeBSD and some DAT and CDROM drives.  Other than
that problem it is the main controller I sell in my systems.

I have CDROM drives and DAT drives that work just fine with it.  I run
Quantum/Micropolis and DEC disk drives with it and have had no problems
in that area.  I have yet to see a motherboard compatibility problem
with it like I see with the BT946's.

The performance seems as good as any other PCI SCSI controller with
respect to both system loading and bandwidth.